Sunday 4 November 2012

Challenge Accepted

What can I add beer to?
A better question to ask is "What CAN'T I add beer to."

I don't have any food science or brewing tales this week.  Instead I'd like to issue a challenge to my fellow omnomnomnivores:

Name a dish I cannot add beer to.  Without making an inedible mess.

No, really.  So far I've made sauces, soups, meat dishes, pasta, baked goods...even a salad.I'm curious to see what others think would be impossible.  Although I have a running list of things to make, I'd like some new ideas.  From an unbiased third party.



In the meantime, enjoy this gratuitous recipe for cookies made with chocolate stout.

Chocolate Stout Pecan Cookies

I need to stop using chocolate stout.
It's just too easy.
1 cup butter, unsalted
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups chocolate stout
2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup pecan halves, broken into coarse chunks and toasted
1 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F (325°F in a convection oven).
  2. Pour beer into saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Reduce beer until only 1/3 cup remains.
  3. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and cocoa.  Beat until smooth.
  4. Pour beer into butter and sugar mixture, and stir vigorously.
  5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
  6. Add dry mixture to butter mixture gradually
  7. Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
  8. For best results, chill the dough overnight to solidify the butter.  This gives the cookie more shape and prevents spreading.
  9. Scoop dough with a teaspoon and form into balls, placing them onto nonstick or greased baking sheets.
  10. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
  11. Place on wire rack to cool.

Makes approximately 48 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment