Tuesday 3 January 2012

Introduction

I've always loved food, and it didn't take me long to appreciate the drinks that go along.  I'm not sure when I started focusing on beer, but it may have had something to do with a free pint glass.  I also really like science - at least the science that pertains to food.  I couldn't care less about paramecium in a petri dish, but mention Saccharomyces cerevisiae, or the Maillard reaction and I'll start talking.

Why did I decide to start a blog?  I've learned so much about food and drink over the past year from working in the restaurant industry.  I have also enrolled in a class at the University on brewing and enology.  The more I learn, the more I'll have to say.  Now when I get caught rambling about "residual sugars" and "humulones" people can say: "Vicky, I read your blog post.  Please stop talking."  Now I have a place to soliloquy about the beers I've tried, food pairings, recipes that use beer as an ingredient, restaurants with extensive beer lists, and other topics I deem relevant.

Where does this fit in with Nutrition?  I believe that an important component of a healthy life is the ability to reward yourself from time to time.  Food is a necessity, and pairing it with beer (or wine) makes it better.  Food and beer are things that bring people together, a common ground for all to share.  There may even be some health benefits of moderate drinking, either due to alcohol itself or other compounds present in the beverages.  Drink moderately, but drink well.  Treat yourself to a nice Belgian wit or a chocolate stout.  Life is too short to drink Coors Light.

1 comment:

  1. Found your site via Foodbuzz, Vicky. Glad I did! Love the concept here (and your winsome voice.) Looking forward to more! Take care...

    ReplyDelete